Weeaboos seem to think that everyone in Japan obsessively reads manga and watches anime, and only enjoy the more otaku-oreinted aspects of their culture such as J-pop (including Vocaloid), gaming and national internet culture (e.g. NicoNico and 2channel.) If only weebs would look past the superficial aspects they pick up from anime, because Japan is a lot more than its comics and cartoons:
- Japan has a rich history stretching back to prehistoric times. Though most weebs tend to only recall samurai and ninjas, Japan only rose as a world power once the country abandoned isolationism and the samurai/ninja effectively disappeared into history, and Japan itself Westernised politically, educationally and economically.
- Japan has multiple works of highly regarded literature, both from previous eras and modern times. (And no, I'm not talking about light novels! I'm thinking of stuff like The Tale of Genji and anything by Haruki Murakami.)
- Japan does have live-action shows outside of Super Sentai/Kamen Rider/other tokusatsu shows and J-dramas.
- Japan does have unique subcultures have been brought to attention worldwide, though many of them are typically reactions against mainstream Japanese society so they might even be looked down upon for not fitting in (and yes, they have caught the attention of weebs. Lolita fashion, mainly, but also Harajuku-style.)
- Japanese music is much more than J-pop, J-rock and Vocaloid. There are plenty of bands from the 60s and 70s that don't get much attention outside Japan nowadays. (However, the lack of weebs surrounding groups such as Yellow Magic Orchestra quite relieves me. )
I dunno, as someone who's been deep into Japanese culture for years, it just really bugs me when weeaboos try to paint themselves as Japanese culture experts while only describing misinformation picked up from anime and manga. Of course, I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert on it myself, since what I've previously said could be wrong and corrected by someone else. Just don't take anime and manga as an entire representation of Japan, 'kay?
Again, thank you very much.
But Japanese history and mythology (mythology especially!) are so damn interesting, I wish weebs would pay more attention to anything japan related outside of manga and anime
And the Yakuzas.
Japan also has lots of good food.
-The history behind it
-REALLY COOL-LOOKING CAR MODELS (coughcough Mitsubishi Lancers coughcough)
-Friends who live/are from there
-Books written in Japanese
-THE MUSIC (I love J-pop, J-rock and J-metal)
-Earthquakes, hurricanes and giant tsunami waves
-The food (don't like sushi but I dig Pocky like a nut)
-Heck even the meaning of the flag is way over their heads~!
The rest can be best summed up here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4…
Cool place now, no chill then. ;-D
(and sushi is really good)
"Honne and Tatemae" ("Honne" is true feelings and desires and "Tatemae" is what society expects from you) is one of the parts about Japanese culture that I like. I just think it's admiring how they care about not disturbing others with their actions and thoughts: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honne_an…
And yes, their history has shady shit (like every other country in the world), but there's more to Japanese history than World War II: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4…
Oh, and their food is delicious (there's a Japanese restaurant in my neighbourhood.)